Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Korean kimchi salad.

I never really liked kimchi to be honest. You know, that spicy pickeled cabbage with specks of red all over. The fact that it was always stored in a huge jar of murky vinegar (I think) didn't help entice my senses either. Kimchi, to me, always tasted like waxy spicy sour cabbage. I just didn't like it.

But Korean kimchi salad is a whole different topic.

Don't be fooled because it has the word "kimchi" in its name. Korean kimchi salad is a fresh refreshing mix of garden veggies with a "not so spicy" sweet dressing. It is nothing - I repeat NOTHING - like regular old kimchi.

The first day I tried it (the same night my mom came home with Korean style grilled chicken!), I almost finished the whole carton of it. Yes, it is that good. It's sweet, crisp, light, and refreshing - the perfect appetizer for any occasion. I highly recommend everyone to try this dish. You won't be disappointed.

Here's the recipe!

Korean Kimchi Salad

1 lb cabbage
1 Tbsp salt
8 oz radish
1 carrot
2 cucumbers
6 Tbsp vinegar
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp Korean brand hot pepper paste (adjust amount to taste)
Minced garlic (adjust amount to taste)
Sesame seeds (adjust amount to taste)

Cut off cabbage root and take off each leaf carefully from cabbage. Boil the whole cabbage (until it is cooked but still with a snap) and then put leaves in an ice bath. Cut the radish and carrot into julienne strips. Cut the iced cabbage into thin strips. Mix vinegar, sugar, salt, hot pepper paste, and garlic in a bowl. Marinate all the veggies in the dressing and garnish with sesame seeds.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i heart kimchi salad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and so does the rest of asia.^^

Anonymous said...

this takes forever, but im commenting on every single page. take that people who THINK they can spam.

this is the real deal..

btw, korean kimichi salad...sounds good! =)